Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Trip to France


I don't think I wrote about my trip to France this past summer...despite the tour being disorganized via the company we chose to use for the excursion, I had a memorable time with my high schoolers! We made the most of our whirlwind and unorganized experience. I basked in being in cities where the queens and kings of old used to reign. I felt honored to stand in the very place Saint Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc) was burned at the stake for being accused of witchcraft (utter injustice since she fought so valiantly in order to crown the king of France and unite the country she deeply loved). I savored walking down cobblestone streets where Leonardo DiVinci used to roam. I delighted in learning the history of the castles and cathedrals we visited all while looking at rooms and paintings and relics of old....

All the cliche tourist attractions even made me smile...looking at the city of Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower, having a croissant and coffee at local cafes, and shopping for pastries and trinkets.

Humility was even experienced as we walked along the D-Day beaches seeing all the remains of a war that was terribly devastating to Europe. Meeting a WWII veteran at the American Cemetery was a blessing as he told his stories of his experiences flying in planes for the allies. Meandering through the WWII museum was all too somber and melancholy...looking into the eyes of Jewish children who never had the chance to grow old and see their earthly freedom.

The memories of this trip will always be remembered....

1 comment: