Sunday, May 2, 2010

Be Still...

Psalm 46:10 tell us to "be still and know that I am God," and in the Christian Standard Edition it translates into "Stop your fighting and know that I am God." These words have been interpreted in many ways, but, essentially, I think the lesson is to STOP, LISTEN, and KNOW who God is. Find Him in your heart within the stillness of your thoughts. Eastern and New Age thought refers to this meditation which isn't a bad word. We need to meditate on the lessons that God teaches us...

How does one "be still" in the midst of this 21st century world? We're bombarded with technologies and busy-ness: Twittering, Facebooking (amazing how these words have evolved into verbs, huh?), gaming, IPods and IPads, etc, etc. Not to mention we have jobs, families, hobbies, and social lives. How does one balance all the madness in this century? At times, I long for a much simpler way of life, and I suppose I can create that for myself if that's what I desire~We all have that luxury to create our own lives...well, most of us do, for now anyway.

Okay back to the point which is creating stillness in our lives. How does one do this? Every person must decide for themselves how to create this necessary ritual in their lives. For me, it's a battle! I love having my music playing (listening to my IPod shuffle as I type this) or a movie in the background. I have to really make a conscious effort to be in God's stillness which is the only place to truly get comfort and rest.

For example, I decided to take advantage of the beauty and serenity of an arriving storm...the wind was passing through, the birds were flying to their shelter, and I decided to take my Rosary on the back porch and pray. I asked God to show me Truth; the Truth I'm meant to live out in my life. In that stillness, I received a calm in my soul which I couldn't have obtained without choosing to be still.

God will NEVER force us to come to this place of stillness for He values choice, free will. I am certain He smiles each time we make even the smallest effort to meet Him in this place of stillness...when we turn off the t.v.'s, the radios, the MP3's, and the computers.

I have had many heartaches over the past few months, most of them perpetuated from self-pity, but, nonetheless, heartaches. I realize more and more how the answers to our frustrations really do exist in our hearts, our souls where God waits. He waits in the stillness that we must choose to go....

Be still...Know...Truth...Peace...

"Grow where you're planted!"

~Kimbergirl

No comments:

Post a Comment