Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dance Lessons


I was awoken by that familiar sound of an annoying cell phone ring tone which interrupted a dance lesson taught by Gerard Butler. I loathe technology this morning! For any lady who wants to know, Gerard is a great dancer! ;)

A new day, a gray, somber type of day by looking out my office window. Looks a bit post apocalyptic except the trees are still standing...I have a difficult time getting jazzed up for a day that begins like this. I have nothing in particular on my mind this morning except I need to get papers graded and I need to get my week organized. I am jonesing for a Starbucks coffee (Caramel Macchiato with skim milk, s'il vous plait) yet I don't want to get out of my comfy clothes (that sounds pathetic if I type it out loud)! I suppose I can make the sacrifice and put on a long sleeve t-shirt, tennis shoes (how Americaine of me) get in the car, and drive to my local SBs and order that cup full of coffee delight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to be alive another day in a country I love with a roof over my head and 2 dogs to spoil. My life is beginning to take the shape I desire of it, but I feel absolutely unmotivated this morning. Maybe that's OKay. I guess these moments where I have carte blanche are intimidating because I haven't been good at managing my free time for the past year or so!

I know there are people in this world who would kill to be in my situation right now...the house is quiet (maybe too quiet...I don't even have the radio playing in the background and it's beginning to creep me out a little), I'm warm and safe, I am staring at a beautiful stream outside my window, there are no kids screaming, no one telling me I'm unworthy (no one to hold my hand either but that's for another blog), I'm not obliged to cook for anyone...there's just calm, quiet, and peace. Why can't I enjoy this more? Have a been so conditioned to noise and "stuff" that I am incapable of savoring these moments? I suppose many of us Westernized folk are similar in that way which is somewhat pathetic. To be able to "just be," is a gift, and I'm struggling not to return it...

This is where I need to make choices...life fulfilling choices or life draining ones. I want to make life fulfilling choices today. I'm going to finish this blog (as boring as it is), put on a long sleeve t-shirt and tennis shoes, put Piper in the car, and I'm going to enjoy the ride to SBs. I live in a charmingly beautiful part of the world and car rides are never ordinary when surrounded by mountains, farmland, and rolling hills. Once I obtain the coveted Caramel Macchiato (with skim milk...well...maybe a lemon loaf, too), I will take Piper to the park for a walk (coffee in hand of course). After my jaunt to the outside world, I'll come home, finish watching RED (funny stuff btw), and grade some papers. Once all that is accomplished...who knows...I'll decide in the moment=)

I'm looking forward to a peaceful, stress-free day, and God, thank you for that!!

~Shabby Chic Lady

2 comments:

  1. I struggle getting out of bed when there is nothing on the agenda for the day. That's why the snow days we had were not bright spots to me.

    Miss seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow days didn't bring the brightest spots for me either! Miss seeing you, too!!! I'm a slacker Catholic I suppose...when I go to mass, I may start attending St. Mary's in JC

    ReplyDelete